What if you could make your own crispy, delicious yet easy-to-make pie crust in your air fryer? Wouldn’t it be great knowing that you would have more time with family instead of watching them go cross-eyed from all those hours spent waiting for the dough to rise?
Making a perfect crisp and flaky dough takes time that many people don’t want or can’t commit to without sacrificing quality ingredients. Air frying your pies into crispy deliciousness with this easy-to-follow recipe for air-fried apple pies. This article will show you how to make a pie crust in an air fryer.
- Can You Bake A Pie Crust In An Air Fryer?
- Best Small Air Fryer For Baking Pie Crust
- How to Make Pie Crust in An Air Fryer - Easy Pie Crust Recipe
- How To Make Refrigerated Pie Crust In the Air Fryer - Refrigerated Pie Crust Recipe
- Homemade Air Fryer Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
- Is Pie Crust Better with Butter or Shortening?
Can You Bake A Pie Crust In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can bake a pie crust in an air fryer. In fact, it’s easy to do with a little planning and preparation. You need to make sure that your air fryer can handle the size of the pie pan. Most models are designed for 6-inch or smaller pans; if yours is larger, it might not fit.
Making a pie crust in an air fryer is surprisingly easy and the results are fantastic. The crust comes out light and flaky, with a buttery texture that rivals any oven-baked pie crust. This recipe yields one 9-inch pie crust, but can easily be doubled or tripled if needed.
A pie crust is an important part of any pie. It can make or break the dish. A good crust is light, flaky, and flavorful. It can elevate a mediocre filling to something extraordinary. There are many ways to make a pie crust, but the most common is by using flour, butter, salt, and water.
Best Small Air Fryer For Baking Pie Crust
There are a number of different air fryers on the market, and it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you. If you are looking for an air fryer that can bake a pie crust, we recommend the Instant Vortex 4-in-1 Air Fryer. This air fryer is 2 Quart size, making it perfect for small tasks like baking a pie crust.
The baking pan that fits perfectly inside this instant vortex air fryer is the Fat Daddio’s 5×2 Round Cake Pan. This cake pan is perfect for making a cake with a square shape, which is ideal for a pie crust. The round shape ensures even heat distribution and prevents the crust from becoming too crispy or burnt.
How to Make Pie Crust in An Air Fryer – Easy Pie Crust Recipe
- Air Fryer
- Baking Pan
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Ice Water
- Cut the butter into small chunks and put them back in the fridge to keep it cold. Measure out the water and put it in the freezer to cool down, then drink it.
- In a large bowl or food processor, mix flour and salt together until they are well mixed.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or pulse mode on a food processor until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Do not mix too much. When making bread, the butter should still be in chunks and not completely mixed with the flour.
- If you used a food processor, move the mixture into a large bowl.
- Remove the cold water from the freezer and slowly add it to the mix 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix with a fork until the dough can hold together to make a ball.
- It’s best to put the crust in the fridge for at least 4 hours before cutting into it.
- Keeps up to three days in the fridge.
- A rolling pin and floured surface are used to roll out. The edges of the dough may still be a little crumbly. It’s best to roll the dough out once, then gently fold in its crumbly edges to the center.
- Turn and roll out again. This should help keep the edges from falling apart, so it should work.
- It should be about 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick.
- For a mini air fryer, a 5 by 2-inch round cake pan should be big enough for the pie dough to fit inside.
- Bake in the Air fryer at 300F for 5 minutes, then remove the weight item and tin foil. Let the crust cook for another 3 minutes.
How To Make Refrigerated Pie Crust In the Air Fryer – Refrigerated Pie Crust Recipe
This section will show you how to make a refrigerated pie crust in an Air Fryer. When you want pie crust, you don’t have to wait for it to bake for hours. This is a great way to get it right away. In this case, the only thing that I would change is to spray the pan with cooking spray before putting it in refrigerated pie dough. This way, your dough won’t stick.
- Remove refrigerated pie crust from the fridge about 15 minutes before you start making the pie crust.
- Place your tart pan on top of the crust. Cut a circle about 1 inch outside the edge of the tart pan.
- Press the crust into the tart pan, tucking the edges down along the sides and cutting off any extra dough so that the crust is level with the top of the pan. Make sure the crust is even with the top of the pan.
- Put the tart pan in the basket of the air fryer and cook it for 5 minutes at 300°F, then turn off the machine.
Homemade Air Fryer Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Ensure butter and water are cold
Making sure your butter and water are cold before beginning will help to prevent the butter from blending too much with the flour. Leaving the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours before rolling it out will also help to ensure that the gluten has settled and prevents shrinking while baking. Additionally, having a harder butter will help keep the dough from shrinking while baking.
Keep The Bottom Crust Down
It’s easy for the bottom of a pie crust to raise up and create bubbles. This can be avoided by making sure to weight down the crust during baking- either with pie weights or dry beans. Without this step, you’ll end up with a big hill in the center of your pie.
Watch The Heat and Time on Your Air Fryer
The Air Fryer is a great appliance to have in your kitchen because it cooks food faster than a traditional oven. Additionally, pie crusts need to be pre-cooked at a low temperature for shorter times so that they don’t get too crispy and the filling doesn’t cook through. You can then bake the pie again with the filling inside the crust and remove it from heat before adding your desired toppings.
Is Pie Crust Better with Butter or Shortening?
There are two schools of thought when it comes to pie crust: those who use butter and those who use shortening. Cooks have used shortening for centuries because it is a more stable fat and doesn’t melt as quickly as butter. This results in a flaky crust. However, many people believe that the traditional pie crust is made with butter and that it has a better flavor.
- Actifry vs Air Fryer: Which is the Best Fryer for You In 2022? - October 22, 2022
- How to Grill in Microwave Convection Oven: The Best Way to Heat, Rack, and Work - September 17, 2022
- How to Use the Multi-Layer Rack in an Air Fryer - September 17, 2022