If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to deep-frying, and don’t want to use your stove or oven, an air fryer might be the perfect appliance for you. But can popcorn be cooked in an air fryer? That’s what we’re going to cover in this post!
Can popcorn be cooked in an air fryer? Yes, you can cook popcorn in an air fryer, but there is a trick to it. You need to use corn kernels rather than pre-popped popcorn. To get started, pour the kernels into a brown paper bag and seal it shut. Then, place the bag in your air fryer basket and let the machine run until all of the popcorn has popped. After it’s done popping, you can mix in any spices or salt that you’d like before throwing it onto your favorite snack plate!
How to Cook Popcorn in an Air Fryer
If you’ve ever thought about making your own popcorn at home, but been scared off by the standard stovetop cooking methods, consider switching to an air fryer instead.
Enjoying popcorn for the first time sometimes requires a bit of experimentation, but it can be worth the trouble. To make “real” popcorn in an air fryer, follow this recipe that we have created here!
Not only is it easier on the stovetop than a popcorn maker machine, but you’ll reap all the health benefits of home-popped popcorn without frying up some oil or adding any artificial flavoring. To get started, pour the kernels into a brown paper bag and seal it shut.
Before popping your kernels, preheat the air fryer to 400F. Place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of salt into a 2-cup measuring cup and mix until combined. Spread your popped corn onto foil-lined baking sheets so that they are all at least 6 inches apart. Lightly drizzle the oil and salt mixture over the popped corn, tossing to coat.
Place popcorn in the air fryer and cook for 4 minutes. Flip each piece of popcorn with a wooden spoon and return it to the air fryer for 2-3 more minutes until it turns a light brown. Note: Sometimes we have to cook for an extra minute or so if we’re making something like caramel corn, which is denser than regular popcorn.
Then, place the bag in your air fryer basket and let the machine run until all of the popcorn has popped. After it’s done popping, you can mix in any spices or salt that you’d like before throwing it onto your favorite snack plate.
Remove the microwave popcorn and allow it to cool for a couple of minutes.
How to Make Homemade Popcorn at Home in an Air Fryer
No matter whether you head straight for your air-fryer or choose to cook corn on the cob, make sure your corn is fully cooked before eating.
And yes, popcorn can be cooked in an air-fryer. Norovirus and E. coli can live on raw corn, so make sure your corn is heated thoroughly before you eat it.
Popcorn can be cooked in an air fryer by placing the air-fryer basket over medium heat.
- Cook the kernels until they begin to pop and then shake the basket to spread them out.
- Continue to cook until popping slows down for a few seconds between pops.
- You also can make air-fried popcorn in a regular pan. Add 1/3 cup of oil or butter to a pan and place it over medium heat.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Place 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels into the hot pan and cover for about 3 minutes, shaking the pan every minute.
- Remove the lid and cook for an additional minute until popping slows down to one second between pops. Pour into a large bowl immediately to stop popping entirely.
- This results in a light, fluffy kernel of popcorn.
Can you pop a bag of popcorn in an air fryer?
Air fryers are popping up in kitchens everywhere. They use hot air to dry food, smoke it, and even barbecue it. And now you can pop a bag of popcorn in an air fryer! The result is crisp and fluffy popcorn that’s less greasy than what you get from a stovetop, oven, or toaster.
Air fryers are great. But they can be messy, and the popcorn takes a while to make and eat. What’s a minimalist to do? Before you choose a specific air fryer for your needs, or simply choose one of these appliances on the market, you first have to know the basic ones.
There are several models of air fryers available in the market today. You can find them at your favorite online shopping destination or your local appliance store. These appliances use a thin layer of oil to warm up the food. Some air-fried food turns out crispy, but some don’t. The best air fryer will produce evenly cooked food with less fat and calories than what you get from the other cooking methods – even if it means a little extra work to achieve it.
Advantages and disadvantages of using an Airfryer to make popcorn
- You’re less likely to overcook or burn the popcorn, less clutter in your kitchen, and your popcorn will be more consistent.
- It’s also the healthiest method of popping popcorn because you can use less oil without compromising the flavor.
- You have to make smaller portions and the whole process takes longer than other methods. Some kernels may crash, as with other methods.
Can you use an air fryer to pop popcorn? you can use an air fryer to cook your popcorn and with anyone who is more health-conscious. The air fryer popcorn method is actually healthier because you can use less oil. All this without compromising the taste.
- Actifry vs Air Fryer: Which is the Best Fryer for You In 2023? - October 22, 2022
- How to Grill in Microwave Convection Oven: The Best Way to Heat, Rack, and Work - September 17, 2022
- How to Use the Multi-Layer Rack in an Air Fryer - September 17, 2022